Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hammond Multiplex Left Side Keys Z-Only Problem Solved


 I was hoping the ribbon would be good enough to typecast from the Hammond, but it is too light.  I need to respool one onto the Hammond hubs.  I hope I can buy a long bulk ribbon from Baco.

From The Classic Typewriter Page:
Baco Ribbons makes ribbons in many sizes, colors, and materials. Contact Charlene Oesch, Baco Ribbon & Supply Co., 1521 Carman Road, Ballwin, MO 63021, 314-835-9300, fax 636-394-5475, e-mail bacoribbon@sbcglobal.net.

Impression strip on my Wal-Mart lazy susan.                                                                                                                           Gee from Type OH! The manual typewriter experience first showed one of these on his Hammond Multiplex.  I had bee too tight to buy one, but after several attempts at trying to find a bicycle rim liner I broke down and visited the Ebay seller and bought one.  Very well worth the price.
blogger does not display the caption on the blog like it appears in the editor!
This is the impression strip installed.

Not a very good image splice.   I hope you ' get the picture'
Z rod sticking in UP. The lever that rotates to move the shuttle stops at whichever key presses its rod up.

Notice the ferrule on the Z stays down.

Normal operation.  The spring goes up with the rod to provide return tension. Third one to the right is Z.  It will eventually drift into the up position even if the key is not pressed.  Looks like #4 is drifing up, but it is fine.


This looks like a 35mm printed with the negative installed with the emulsion side up in the negative carrier.  I did not notice it in GIMP.  I flipped the photo because I took the photo the only way I could get close with the camera.  That showed this upside-down. The image looks like the right side of the assembly.  It is really the left.  Z is the third rod from the left end of the assembly.

A better macro of the previous image.  Sorry for the reversal.

My chime clock after being replaced on the shelf in the living room with the Hammond, and after it was cleaned with Murphy's Oil Soap.
Type OH! The manual typewriter experience

raphaelcarl 
is the Ebay seller of the Hammond Impression Strip

 I hope the Ebayer does not mind a referral from my blog.

The clock is one of those projects where I should have done some before and after photos as it was quite dull and dirty looking before I decided to clean it and get it running for the first time since moving to Florida.  It sat on our book case as a decoration as I did not want to start the chimes.  This is a reproduction of a real chime clock. It does not have a silence key to silence the chimes.  Once the chime spring winds down it will not chime.  I've not decided to keep it or offer it to a Typospherian who likes clocks.

2 comments: