Sunday, December 15, 2013

I'm Still Here

While we were away this arrived.     



The longest masonry stone arch bridge in the world.  The Rockville Bridge.
I travelled under this bridge for nearly 20 years every day.
    

I have several photos of the bridge and trains from the 70s when I was in college taking photography classes.  Back then you could go up on the bridge and take photos and even walk the bridge.  Technically it was probably illegal, but I met some track crews and have some unique photos.  All  I need is to dig them out of my files.  The bridge was built in 1900 and is over 3800 feet long.  Before Conrail I think there were 4 tracks on top.  No there is one or two.

On the way home we drove past the monuments in D.C.  I could not resist imitating Luis over at One Photograph a Day and snapping a few photos as we went through.  Construction is almost finished on the repairs of the Washington Monument.
 

Jefferson Memorial
Doc Pomus was a singer and songwriter of the 1950s and 60s.  He wrote many of the songs old guys like me grew up with.  Later I played hundreds of his songs on the radio and today they get quite a bit of air play as oldies. 

I watched the DVD and if you liked the music of the 50s and 60s I think you will enjoy his story.

Doc was quite an amazing fellow.  When I heard about the documentary on NPR I contacted the producers and was able to get an advanced copy of the DVD. 
The movie is being screened in selective theaters and the DVD is available in limited quantities until 22 December.

http://pomussongs.com/

http://akadocpomus.com/the-film/


To order the DVD

9 comments:

  1. Wow, tornado 5 miles away? Too close for comfort. We took shelter in our basement recently because there was a tornado watch, but nothing happened in our area.

    Good luck moving. It's not easy with typewriters! But it sounds like it will be a relief getting out of FL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tornadoes are quire scary. Never know where they may touch down or where they will go. Another reason I like the North. Houses have basements.

      I thought typewriters moved themselves. I saw the video Florian posted. I hope to stack as many as I can in my Blazer. Maybe the Kia too.

      Delete
  2. Bill, sounds like challenging times. All best in your move to Virginia, hope things work out for the best. I still hope to see you back in the Typosphere in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ton. The newness of Florida wore off quickly. Like the second summer we were here.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the Doc Pomus links. I never heard of him before and yet I have a big 60s soul collection! Chances are I have a few of his songs in amongst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doc started as a Blues singer and moved into song writing. Doc and Mort Shuman wrote a huge sting of hits from the 50 through the 60s Even Elvis and Ray Charles sang his songs.

      Delete
  4. A thousand good wishes for your journey north, I think that's where your heart is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. I'd rather go to Wyoming, Montana or Alaska, but Mrs. likes Virginia and so do I.

      Delete
  5. Stopping by to wish you a very Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete